5 Reasons You’re Not Making Progress
Life can be frustrating, especially when you know you could be doing much better.
You might be intelligent, friendly, and talented, but still fail to make significant progress in your life. Avoid confusing potential with results. No matter how talented you may be, it’s still necessary to apply your time and effort effectively.
There are only a few reasons why you’re struggling in your life, and they’re all under your control. That’s good news. You can change anything you control.
Make more progress in life by eliminating these errors:
1. You don’t know what you want
When the waitress brings out the dessert cart, you have to choose something or go hungry. Everything else in life is the same way. You might be stuck choosing between a career as a physician or a rocket scientist. But if you fail to make a decision, you might find yourself tipping garbage cans for a living.
- Making a choice is more important than making the perfect choice. Weigh your options and be brave enough to pull the trigger. Choose something.
2 .You change your mind too frequently
Imagine if you started from Topeka, Kansas with the intention of driving to Los Angeles. But after 500 miles, you changed your mind and decided to drive to Miami, so you turned around. A thousand miles later, you change your mind and decide to go to Seattle.
- You’re then passing by your home when you realize that you don’t have enough vacation time left to drive to Seattle, spend a couple of days, and drive back.
- You’ve been busy and working hard, but you changed your mind too much to accomplish anything. You’re exactly where you started, but now you’re exhausted, too.
- It’s important to choose a direction for your life and stay the course.
3. How much of your time do you spend effectively?
The average office employee spends less than 25% of their time at work actually doing anything of value for their employer. How much of your time are you spending to enhance your life?
- How much time do you waste each day? Playing on your phone, watching TV, surfing the internet, daydreaming, worrying, and hanging out with your friends will never help you to make progress in your life.
- Time is the great equalizer. The better you can spend your time, the better your life will be. No other resource matters as much as your time. Keep track of your time for a week. Every 30 minutes, record how you spend that time. You’ll be surprised by how much time you waste each day.
4. You give up too easily
Good things take time. You can’t lose 50 pounds or make a million dollars in a month. It will take time to make significant progress in your life. There will also be obstacles along the way. Perseverance is critical. Be patient and keep going.
5. You don’t manage your negative emotions well enough to be successful. Frustration, fear, boredom, anxiety, and impatience are common emotions, especially if you’re trying to do something challenging.
- Mastering yourself is the ultimate pathway to mastering life. If you know what you want, the only true obstacle you have is yourself. Everything things else is easy if you can control yourself.
You can begin making meaningful progress in your life, no matter how long you’ve been stuck in a rut. Recognize how you’ve been contributing to your own struggles. Make a decision and stick with it. Progress comes from using each day effectively. If you persevere and manage yourself effectively, you can accomplish anything.
If you’d like some help with finding some opportunities, check our Job Search Engine.